2008-05-02

Prepare To Be Reviewed

IRON MAN
Directed by Jon Favreau

Last year @ San Diego Comic-Con the first teaser for this flick hit and immediately every Fan-Boy, and Fan-Grrl in North America got that “special feeling” down below. I was just kind of “meh” about the whole thing. I had never read any of the comics (still haven’t actually, as I had no desire to color my expectations before seeing the flick), but I knew the jist of the story was drunken, genius, spoiled brat builds suit and fights crime.

Fast forward to April 30th 2K8. A year of hype has, I have to say, gotten my ass excited about this flick, and with Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (could that casting be any more perfect? I think not!), and Jon Favreau directing need I say more? So when a buddy of mine from the Calgary Sun called me at 3:30pm on Wednesday and said he had an extra pass for the premiere that night I was all “hells yeah!”

What can I say about this flick other than BELIEVE THE HYPE. Iron Man is a different kind of comic book flick, and by different I mean in a good way. The action, which is freaking second to none by the way takes a back seat to the character development, the mood, and the atmosphere, but let us not forget the humor. This flick is hilarious when it should be, and somber when it needs to be, and this is good because without the funny elements it could have ended up as another X3: The Last Stand, and we all know how much that flick sucked ass.

The 2 hour and 6 minute running time just blows by with no extraneous scenes. This is not just a good “comic book flick,” it is a great film period, end of. My only disappointment comes not from the film itself, but with the theater. After waiting patiently to the end of the closing credits with breathless anticipation of Samuel L. Jackson’s cameo as Nick Fury of SHIELD, the projectionist cut the flick prematurely leaving me all WTF????!!


Ah, well guess I’ll just have to wait until it comes out on BluRay to enjoy that last scene. For being a great flick that far exceeded my expectations, Iron Man gets a Four out of Five. Go see it kids; it rocks all kinds of roll.

1 comment:

Emma said...

D'oh! We didn't wait!
Oh well, at least we know the sequel is coming despite the complete lack of physics and ridiculous female sterotyping. Meh.

What is going to happen when all the writers have re-written everything? Who is writting new stuff?

Reviews From The Chesterfield

Ghost in the Shell Directed by Rupert Sanders Based on the manga by Shirow Masamune In the near future, the cyberneticly enhan...